Welcome!

Just my thoughts, travels, stories, pictures, all inter-netted together. My net touches your net.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Santa Cruzing, USA (pt 7)

Song: "To Go Home" - Daniel Johnston
Food: Raisin Bran

I am in a race to finish reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude" for this book club I am in. All of the other people (only one other person) in the club are probably upset at me that I have not finished. Walked over to the Boardwalk beach and fused with the damp sand. From there, I walked to the University of California Santa Cruz campus. On my way, there was a tree, and I saw him, clear as day I saw him, and I knew deep down that if I did not make him come to life I would later regret it. So there I was, on the side of Bay street, creating my tree man.
UCSC, holy moly, what a beautiful campus. Mann, just enough trees and hills for my beard to feel at home, but still close enough to the beach for my god-like tan. I wanted to be a freshman, living in the dorms, and experiencing all of the beautiful confusion all over again. The ultimate goal of the trip was to see the second night of "UCSC Kinetic Poetics" featuring the flock printer himself, Buddy Wakefield. Unfortunately I had the night mixed up and the event is next week.
No worries though, we still had time to drive over to Capitola for Ugly Mug's Open Mic night. I walked in the door, signed up, and was on the stage in a few minutes. Ehh, it was, ehhh. Good experience, but I think my intense, whining music did more damage than good at this place. Great little coffee shop though.

Tonight ends my stay in Santa Cruz, and let me tell ya, it has been a grand time. Much gratitude to the warrior queen Andi B and her roommate Rebecca K for putting up with me in their kitchen, bathroom, and social lives for as long as they did. Thank you girls and may your souls receive substantial cuts in the buffet line of your heavenly cafeterias, one day far from now.

As I progress toward Los Angeles, I thought I would do a better job of informing you of the weather. And what better way to do it, then to have Mr. David Lynch present the information?

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Dave Rawlings Machine - A Friend of a Friend

Russ said...

Thanks Dais. I will check it out. I see his name on many places lately, so he must be on a big tour. I think I am just missing him up in Santa Cruz where I just was.