Welcome!

Just my thoughts, travels, stories, pictures, all inter-netted together. My net touches your net.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Flagstaff, AZ

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the laws of Physics, for giving me a way to describe my rapid acceleration away from Las Vegas, and always being there for me whenever I need someone to talk to. I debated whether to share this next part with my Blog readers, mainly because my parents are frequent worried visitors, but 'tis the truth, and the truth shall set you free.

First of all though, here is a warning for those of you who do not have experience using Greyhound. Regular price tickets (not Priority tickets) are on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE basis. Not just for buying tickets, this is also for getting on the bus AFTER you have already purchased. This means that, in the event that a bus is oversold, you may not get on the bus you bought a ticket for. And what does Greyhound do in this event? They tell you that you can have a refund of your ticket, or you can wait for the next bus. So what happened to me? Well, I had no where else to be yesterday, so I walked to the bus station at about 2 pm. The next bus out to Arizona was at 8 pm. So I just hung out with families, vagrants, liars, and cheats at the bus station for 6 hours, reading and thinking. As the line to get on the 8 o' clock piled onto the bus, and about 10 of us were left to get on, the driver says "Sorry folks, I am all full. You will have to go talk with the ticket counter to see why they oversold this one." The ticket counter only has to explain their first come first serve policy, which none of us were made aware of until this moment.

I had some options as far as how to kill time until the next bus, which was 10 hours away at 6 am the next morning:
  1. Get a hotel or hostel room
  2. Find ways to entertain myself out around Las Vegas all night
  3. Stay/sleep at the bus station
I got a bite to eat, but otherwise set up shop at the bus station and waited it out. The Las Vegas Greyhound station is not exactly a place you want to be for any period of time, but it is definitely good experience in that you see how many of these other people are practically living (whether by choice or not) and depending on Greyhound. Since I was there for about 16 hours, I saw many of the same faces and realized that some of them have no intention on getting on a bus. They live there, at the station. There are employees who monitor the place to some degree, but don't do anything about these guys. One guy was sketching and/or writing stories on a notepad the entire time I was there. I tried to be "artistic", but found it difficult, which is something I am concerned about.

Where am I?

Many of you are probably saying "What did you expect?" or "Sorry that Greyhound was not your pumpkin carriage.". I would argue with you that technology today is so cheap and so efficient in terms of scheduling and organizing, and I am amazed at how disjointed Greyhound is. Greyhound could easily be my pumpkin carriage, full of people bragging about how they robbed a guy while in Vegas.

Flagstaff AZ is a nice place, and I need to get out and get some mountain air. There are a constant flow of tourists here to see the Grand Canyon, or to ski the nearby mountain slopes. This consistency gives this place a nice mix of German and English girls. Bye.

4 comments:

Terahertz Technology said...

Yep, just like your time in SA, I had a gut feeling about your situation, which is why I skyped Caro yesterday to see if she had heard from you. Predatory conduct, is the way peep on the street live. Survival of the fittest, is a trait you must often learn the hard way, so try to stay out of bus stations especially in big cities.

Terahertz Technology said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Terahertz Technology said...

this explains alot ( had to repost link)
http://tinyurl.com/yzxrahs

Russ said...

Ha! That is an interesting article. Whoa.