Welcome!

Just my thoughts, travels, stories, pictures, all inter-netted together. My net touches your net.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Manhappening, Kansas (I)

I mounted a red-eye Greyhound that burned holes in the night through central America (United States of) and brought me to Junction City Kansas this morning. I slept well: scarf pillow, footrest full extension for optimal knee relaxation (sarcasm), and the attention-hogging Kansas landscape blanketed in darkness to keep me from distraction (quasi sarcasm).

I feel I have learned a few fundamental properties of the American universe in the last few weeks, but have yet to really discuss on the public interweb. First thing, when you don't have a cellular phone, and you use your laptop for all forms of communication (barring smoke signals, drunken gazes, and high fives) you develop a true sense of free wi-fi hotspots. Places like hotels and coffee shops become a staple of your signal stealing. The main point is I have yet to be in a situation where I could not find an unsecured signal. I am not sure if people don't know how to put a password on their wireless, or just don't care. So I let my sister know I made it to Kansas and this place made it too easy:
 

Secondly, people like the guy/gal with a guitar, particularly in the more rural areas. Many ask what kind of music you play, what kind of guitar you have. This is usually a segue to what music they play and what guitars they have, without having to ask them or appear interested. It is interesting that the guitar is one of those items that everyone and their grandma owns, yet it is an item that is strange enough in the public sector to illicit contact from strangers. It is a beautiful thing, and this alone earned me a free ride today from Junction City to Manhattan from a nice guy at a gas station. I didn't even have to play him a song!

Tonight my sister made chicken enchiladas while we drank beer. I am in Kansas, which means I am close to one of my favorite breweries, Boulevard Brewing Co. I was disappointed to not find a few of their brews in the store today though, and ended up with New Belgium Brewery's new attempt at an Indian Pale Ale. It is not bad, but I would prefer Boulevard's "Double Wide IPA".

I am here in Kansas with one mission (other than hanging with my sister), and that is to record some music. A friend once told me that Leonardo Da Vinci said "The idea is divine, creation is just servitude" (paraphrased). That thought has left me lying happily, naked on my back on the beach of laziness. It's time to try something new.

2 comments:

Terahertz Technology said...

you are the manhappening, and in manhappening,drink two for me in aggieville...and of course you can never consume enough ugly fruit is my thesis.

Terahertz Technology said...
This comment has been removed by the author.