Welcome!

Just my thoughts, travels, stories, pictures, all inter-netted together. My net touches your net.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

California Coasting (pt 2)

Song: Frogs copulating
Food: Trail mix

Yodi! Why? Because the Monterey Hostel has all you can eat Belgian waffles, as long as you make them. So I went to town on these things early this morning.

Took the bus to Carmel as planned and the bus driver let me know when to get off for Big Sur. It must be painfully common for hippy lookin, wilderness warrior wannabes to ride his bus to get to Big Sur. It is a 2 mile walk along CA Hwy 1 to get to the first park area. I decided to try to hitch hike, heck I am in California. I held up the thumb for maybe 5 minutes with no luck, so I put it down. Then I came around the corner and looked up the road and there was a car about 100 yards up pulled over. I thought they must be having car trouble. I walked up and the passenger window came down. "Hi. Can I bum a ride to Big Sur?" The gal driving the car said, "That's what I pulled over for!"

I had no idea how far we were going, or how I was going to get back. She is an aspiring musician, and she played me some of her stuff from her Ipod. It was really good. I told her we needed to play each other some songs whenever we stop. We did stop, not too far down the road at the River Inn. We played some songs - hers were wonderfully sad, mine bored her. She said she is heading back now, and I just jumped back in her car. Short trip to Big Sur, or so I thought. Despite the good company, at Bixpy Bridge (I believe it has some significant Jack Kerouac significance), and again not really knowing how far I was (14 miles), I asked to get out and walk the rest of the way back to Carmel. That was, definitely, the rest of my day. Full of picture taking (of my own) and stares (from the other tourists). I was not successful in getting other tourists to take pictures of me, but, for a reason I have not quite figured out, a car slowed down next to me and a young girl held a few dollar bills out the window toward me. I was tickled, told her thank you very much, but that I am OK.

What do you make of that?

I think you have had enough tonight, we will check in with the LA weather from Mr. Lynch tomorrow. New pictures uploaded to my picture album (link up in the top right).

2 comments:

I am Mr. McNamara said...

Awesome. I love you.

Terahertz Technology said...

Never look the gift tourist with dollars, in the mouth.. have fun, carry on..