Welcome!

Just my thoughts, travels, stories, pictures, all inter-netted together. My net touches your net.

Monday, February 8, 2010

San Diego (chapter 3)

San Diego, or at least the San Diego of today, seems to be a city that has come into existence far too rapidly to appear natural. Let me explain. You can drive, or bike as I did, to various points in the city and come across these major traffic arteries in areas that have nothing else, these dead zones. Sure, people have to get from one place to another, but how is there such development surrounding an area, but nothing in between? Furthermore, areas like downtown, "Hillcrest", and "Pacific Beach" are these neon-lit, shiny, bars and restaurants surrounded by more dilapidated or poorly developed city areas. Makes it difficult to find any character in an area like that. A friend confirmed that 5 years ago, none of this was here, and they have just pumped money money money into these areas, kicking the existing residents out, bringing in franchises of all flavors, only to watch business after business fail.
On the other hand, "Ocean Beach", "South Park" and "North Park" seem like areas that have come to be by their own means and in doing so have retained some existing soul.

Sorry, I usually just do this whole "today I did this, and that" so I thought I would throw some thoughts at you. I biked all over San Diego yesterday, it was wonderful. Then I played at Libertalia Cafe's Open Mic Night, with mixed reception :)  . I am off to do more of it. Here is a family photo of me and two distant relatives of friends.

From left to right: My sweetheart Phyllis's great Aunt Jenine, Yo Soy, and my pal Montezuma's cousin Jose Arcadio Buendia.

2 comments:

Terahertz Technology said...

you look- muy parecido al Dios Inca a su izquierda, que es mi derecho llevar a cabo, y feliz estancia a mi amigo!

Terahertz Technology said...

oversettelsen går mye kunne vært bedre