Welcome!

Just my thoughts, travels, stories, pictures, all inter-netted together. My net touches your net.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Sweet Home Chicago (four)

Yesterday was Chicago's Birthday. Happy birthday Chicago, glad to be invited to the party.

Every Thursday, from 5 to 8 pm, the museum at the Art Institute Chicago is open free to the public. Oh hells ya, I was there. Stories of Georgia O'Keeffe and the inspiration behind her paintings. The battles of the American modernists trying to show the Europeans that, they too, have deep feelings. I enjoyed the museum much, here is my critique:
Painting - Lots of American (both pre- and post- 1900), little European (disappointing) that were mainly the Impressionists (which I am not a huge fan of), and hardly anything else (which I am OK with).
Sculpture - .... I'm just going to end my review now, because I only go to museums to look at paintings. Ya, they had some sculpture, Asian/Indian artifacts, and a GIANT section of photography. You could find me looking at the artifacts and sculptures. You could not find me looking at photography, though I could use some lessons.

I played at the somewhat historic "Gallery Cabaret" open mic last night. Musically, it definitely wasn't my night: forgetting my lyrics, how to play guitar, and not shaking my hips enough. I was given even more of a shunning than my other heavily shunned appearances. The sound kept cutting out on me, that's my excuse. There were some really good folks that played there though, so I had a good time. After the bar, I ate hot dog #2 of the Chicago visit. My nutritionist would be outraged.

Tonight Klevis and I made our own ice cream and drank beer, like real men, right? We called it date night. Much to Klevis's dismay, we did not use goat milk or goat cream to make the ice cream.
From Sweet Home Chicago
Klevis (c), scraping the last from the ice cream maker

No comments: