Welcome!

Just my thoughts, travels, stories, pictures, all inter-netted together. My net touches your net.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Dallas, TX (*)

Since being a vagabond of self indulgence, I feel I have done a decent job of seeing new challenges and then turning those challenges into something useful, like a good story or a shoe string. However, an idea came into my head that was very do-able, drank a majority of my thoughts and planning, only to give me my first real feeling of failure this year. I had my stuff packed up and I was to ride my bicycle from my parent's home in New Mexico to Lubbock Texas. All ready and rarin' to go, and then I chickened out. It was going to require that I ride a longer distance than I have ever ridden before and camp a night or two near the highway along my way through west Texas. Was it the weather, was it the wild? I don't know, but I bailed on the idea to drive my stinking car to Lubbock. But, life is good, life is peachy. It was refreshing to be with my parents for a week. They are starring characters in my dreams and it is always good to be around 'em.

Next, a rainy, short three days in Lubbock to see my old roomie best pal Danny and his gal, my therapist, Daisy ~@~ . We drank muchos cervezas, ate muchos Mexican food, and pretty mucho figured out that the answer to any problem is "Whatever makes your friends laugh." Also, I went to my old college stomping grounds and visited two professors. One had a little time available, and I was able to tell him all of my crazy tales of confident irresponsibility. He gave me some great advice and talked the truth to me enough that I now consider him more of a friend than old boss/professor. We even went out for Chinese buffet that night.

Another handful of days in Lubbock would have been really nice, but the wind blew me down the road to Graham Texas, where my friends Winston and Caitlin are spending day and night developing a utopia of farming, beer brewing, and all-around merriment. It was Winston's birthday so Caitlin made, I kid you not friends, the best birthday dish spread I can remember. Bratwurst, schnitzel, a 30 chocolate crepe layer cake with hazelnut creme, salmon brie appetizers, and a 30 pound apple strudel that looked a lot like a monster from the movie "Tremors" and tasted delicious. When I first got to Graham, I found their address, arrived unannounced, and don't remember anything else other than eating, drinking, and laughing.
From Graham TX
My good ol' buddy friends Will and Amanda were also there for the birthday extravaganza, and on Sunday I followed them back to their home in Dallas, where I am now, drinking a glass of warm soy milk and typing furiously on their living room couch. From the looks of things, I am going to be here a while, so plenty more about the Dallas scene to come.

No comments: