Welcome!

Just my thoughts, travels, stories, pictures, all inter-netted together. My net touches your net.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Middle of the week. Middle of everything.

A story.
While in Dallas, my pal Will and I rode bicycles with our guitars to the historic Dallas Fair Park to look for an advertised art festival. When we got there, we did not find many people or what might resemble a festival, so we rode around looking at the large fair ground facilities from outside of a fence. At the back of the park we found an open security gate, which we rode through with only minor concerns for the law.

Inside was fascinating, empty game booths, tattered tarps, quietted rides, and a frozen ferris wheel. It was exciting to ride through this sleeping playground and imagine the differences there must be during fair season. After a circle through, we came back to the rear gate to find it had closed. This was more humorous than troubling, and we rode back around in search of an escape. A convenient escape was not to be found, but we decided on jumping the fence and lifting our bikes over. Once to the other side, I couldn't help the feeling that we should have made more of this.
"We should have recorded a video or somethin'."
"I'm in."

After climbing back over the chain link and barbed wire we discussed our plan.
"A music video?"
"Yea. We can play guitar by those giant cable spools."
So we started our recording with me playing by the ferris wheel. It was exciting. Not only had we re-snuck into the place with a purpose of guerrilla video recording, but the rare opportunity to have footage of yourself playing guitar at such a strange place was reason for a small dose of adrenaline.

About two minutes in to the first shot, I glanced right to see a bird fly away from my singing (yelling?) At about two minutes and five seconds, I glanced left to see a security guard staring at us from a golf cart ten feet away. Out of practice, I was able to move on with the show. The man was not making a move, he was letting us finish. At the end of the last chord, we both turned to the man.
"Hey man." "Hello sir."
"How you doin' guys. Let me ask you, how did you get inside of the gate?"
We told him a short, nervous version of the above.
"No problem guys. You know, it is nice to see someone in here doing something positive. That's why I let you finish. And I can let you back out now."
We giggled like school boys and thanked him. We started to pack up and I turned back to the guard. "Do you want to be in our music video?"
He looked down and left for a moment to allow quicker blood passage to the right side of his brain. "Sure!"

We explained a few of the director's ideas and off I went in Larry the security guard's golf cart. Director Will got on his bicycle and recorded me playing guitar while riding with Larry. We were having a great time. Larry even suggested different spots for interesting backgrounds to our video and we gladly took his suggestions. Larry said we helped him pass the time in what normally feels like a prison cell, and he certainly helped make our day.

To what I think will be your immediate disappintment, I will say that I do not have a video to show you, nor can I promise I will ever have one. Will got some awesome footage and it needs to be edited together to be right. Perhaps one day.

-typed on a small computer-like device.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I need to see this video.

Russ said...

Woo. Still working on it. Video editing is tough. Woo.